Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Memorial Day 2017

I know the "holiday" is past, but I still wanted to share these photos from Ft Gibson National Cemetery here in Oklahoma. I had posted some a few years ago when my husband performed a service there. This recent Memorial Day, we just wanted to take a short drive and decided to visit the Ft Gibson area again.

I've posted pictures from a local cemetery that puts up hundreds of flags to honor those who served. I confess I was curious to see if the National Cemetery does anything similar. It was a solemn, yet beautiful sight.

This cemetery has an interesting history, which you can read by clicking the link in the first paragraph. Other than that, I'll let the photos tell the story.






In this section, "wreaths for veterans" were laid. They are paid for by donations.



We went early in the day, but missed a special ceremony attended by officials and dozens of motorcyclists. As we were leaving, the line of cars to get in stretched a good half mile. In spite of all the circus taking place in Washington these days, regular Americans still have a sense of honor, duty and respect for those who keep us free.

God bless America.

No comments: