Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Maker Faire 2017



Guess who I ran into this weekend?


 Yep, that's him! Mr. R2D2 himself.


 He was hobnobbing at the Maker Faire.  I talked to his "handler" who assured me that he did, indeed, make this entire replica himself. The guy did a fantastic job; it looked just like the movie version.


This pint-size Storm Trooper was so engrossed in creating a digital masterpiece but you can imagine his expression when he looked up and saw R2.


There were makers of all kinds represented.
Cosplay costume artists.






Robots of all kinds were a big thing.






Wood workers demonstrated carving techniques.



Beautiful objects of art, both practical & decorative were on display.





There were those who tool leather into beautiful bracelets and a guy who blows glass into colorful, delicate shapes.


I think this was the 3rd year for the Faire to be held here. I went 2 years ago and they had a great turnout of participants & attendees, but this year was much more! One of the things I loved was seeing how many children & teens got involved.


It's a hands-on event. Kids could try sewing and using a pottery wheel.


My art-doll club was represented. People learned some of the process of doll-making and even create & take a clay dragon.


You could see how stones are polished and purchase various stones or crystals.


This is a 3-D printer. These are amazing little inventions. I'm sure someday they'll develop into something extremely useful but for now we have to be satisfied with small castles & dinosaurs. Actually, they've already come a long way. Three years ago, they were pretty much only producing Cracker Jacks type toys.


 I didn't stop to see what this demonstration was, but it sure was pretty! I assume it had to do with how light is used to grow vegetation.


And that's it - my mini tour of the Mini-Maker-Faire 2017.

No comments: