Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Morning Reflection

In 2012, my church/work/social world started wobbling. Like the beginning rumble of a mild earthquake kind of wobble. Coming change was undeniable. I was talking to a minister friend one day and he asked where I saw myself in 5 years. I've always hated that "5-year Plan" thing! I've never been able to plan 5 weeks, let alone 5 years. But this was something that required some serious thought, so I made an attempt to answer...

"I can maybe see two years down the road. Possibly three. But five years - all I see is a black hole."
He replied, "And God is already there in the black hole waiting for you."

I've thought about that answer many times since. It's always given me comfort. With my limited understanding of God and my experience of Him in my life, I understood that my friend wasn't saying that God is sitting in a black hole waiting for me to stumble my way there and keep Him company! He would be with me every moment of every day and we would walk every step of the way together. The way forward would become clearer as the blackness fades. Light overcoming dark.

Last night, a dear friend called to talk. She's facing an uncertain future that looks like a black hole. We talked about many things, many possible scenarios, but the best advice I could give her was that which was given to me in 2012.

As I was having tea on my patio this morning, my mind wandered back to that day and the conversation last night, and I realized - it's been five years. Here we are!

Maybe you're curious about what happened during that time or what my reflections might be? Have I learned any lessons? Am I where I thought I might be? Wow, that is a whole other post and I think I will attempt to answer those questions. It would be a good, reflective exercise. But I can tell you this:


The sun came up this morning.


No comments: