Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Evolution of Inspiration


One day I walked into my local library to pick up a reserved book and saw something wondrous - two display cases full of the most whimsical creations I'd ever seen.


They were called "art dolls" and were made of fabric and all manner of beads, buttons, cloth, clay, and assorted ephemera. I was captivated and knew I'd found a purpose for the beautiful fabric scraps & trims I had left over from my banner-making days.


I found out more about the group of people who made the dolls and went to their next meeting. It was love at first sight! They had a time of show & tell for their recent club "challenge." I think the challenge was to randomly draw a color, then make a doll entirely in that color scheme. The results were amazing.


Since that time, I've been privileged to learn SO much from them and benefit from the fantastic artists the club has brought in to teach workshops. Barbara Schoenoff, Angela Jarecki, Cindee Moyer, Paula McGee, Arley Berryhill, Sherry Goshon, just to name a few. You might not be familiar with these names, but they are very well known in the world of figurative arts. They are members of prestigious art guilds and published in magazines. What great opportunities I've had to learn directly from them!


Even within our club, we have experienced, creative, skilled people who share their techniques at our monthly meetings. Which brings me to my pictures...

In our October meeting, Laura, the club president, did a demonstration on using a product called Rigid Wrap. You can see the demo on our Facebook page; scroll down to Oct 7. For some reason, that spurred a rabbit trail of ideas that, in the end, weren't connected, but caused me to venture out on my own (usually I rely on a pattern or make something once in a workshop and don't do anything else until the next workshop).

I've always thought those Pure Leaf ice tea bottles had an interesting shape that might make a cool doll base. Finally, a reason to test my idea! I cut out a window, sprayed the bottle silver and used the rigid wrap to create an icicle effect. Some fake snow & diamond dust completed the look. (I confess to some fun Game of Thrones flashbacks as I formed the icicles).  A nice touch would be to add those teeny craft lights to the inside. Think I might pick up a few after Christmas.

I needed an actual doll pattern for guidance and this one from Cindee Moyer fit the best. But after 3 frustrating attempts at turning her tiny cloth fingers, I made some clay hands. Another first! I enjoyed that so much, I made 3 more pairs for the next dolls I have in mind. This one was kind of a prototype. There's a few things I'll do differently and spend more time on, but overall I do like this icy blue pouffy princess.


The next doll is part two of the disconnected inspiration I had during Laura's demonstration. I love the look of mercury glass and last year converted several cheap vases into vintage decorations for the mantle. Can you see where I'm going with this? I've already done the bases and hands. I found some gorgeous, wintry fabric on super-sale. As soon as I click "publish" on this blog, I'm going to get started. Stay tuned to see how this idea transpires!

No comments: