Sunday, January 14, 2018

Winter Dolls

Just a quick update from my last post. I had said I had some ideas in mind for the next dolls using DIY mercury glass. I wanted to submit these dolls for a show at a local gallery and the deadline was quickly approaching. So by the time I got them made & to the gallery, the holidays were here!

I was just about to post some pictures from our holiday road trip, but re-read my last post and thought I'd better make good on my promise first.


I called these two ladies "Winter Days" and "Winter Nights." Both have a faux mercury glass base with a peek-a-boo view to a white tree inside, surrounded by glittery snow.


They were fairly simple to make, .... well, put it this way - a third doll would be easy to make. Now that I've chosen, re-configured & combined some patterns for guidance and figured out how to set them in the base. Both dolls were a trial & error project.


The hands were so tiny, I couldn't get the fingers turned. I experimented with making clay hands but the color was so much darker than the face complexion. I thought painting the hands would solve that problem but it was a disaster. This is how designs evolve! Since they are winter dolls, hand muffs were perfect to hide the very imperfect hands!

I've got so many ideas for dolls & other projects this year. So much fabric, so little time! Here's to a Creative 2018!

No comments: