Sunday, August 4, 2019

Vacation [pt 3] Donkeys & Llamas

 We heard a sad tale during the gold mine tour.


Back in the day, donkeys (mules or burros - I don't remember which) were used in the mines to haul supplies. But they didn't get to ride up & down in the cage-elevators. Once underground, they lived out their lives there, eventually going blind from never seeing sunlight. Their offspring would be born blind.


When technology replaced the donkeys, they were retired. But in gratitude for their service, they and their descendants ever after, were allowed to roam free in Cripple Creek and their eyesight has returned.


 I asked a local where they might be found and he said, "oh they usually hang out up around the post office!"


It was just a couple blocks away, so off we went in search of donkeys.


And sure enough, a small herd was grazing on an empty lot by the post office.


After taking some pictures, we drove off in search of lunch. On our way home, a couple of the cute beasties were cruising the street.


Another little fun discovery was coming upon a llama ranch on the way back to our cabin.


A llama ranch! I'd never seen or heard of one. Of course, we had to go back so I could snap some pictures.



Their expressive faces crack me up!



Sometimes, it's those little serendipities in life that are the best. I smiled every time we drove past the llama ranch :)


I recently saw a funny video on Facebook of Alpacas bounding & bouncing around. I always got llamas & alpacas mixed up, but now I understand the difference. In my next life (jk), I want to have an alpaca farm! I'll have alpacas, afghan hounds, and an art studio on some rolling ground with mountains in the distance. And enough money to pay ranch hands to do all the work. Coz as my husband likes to remind me, I don't even pull weeds in the flower bed.


But doesn't that sound like a bit of heaven?

There's one more post, scroll down or click on "older posts" to view.

No comments: