Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Favorite Movie Quote

The Hubs was watching 13th Warrior while procrastinating yardwork today. It's a very good movie in a swashbuckling, Nordic kind of way. My favorite parts were the glorious closeups of Antonio Banderas and this little prayer his character, an Arabic prince, said before going into battle. I don't know if it's an actual Muslim prayer, so don't freak out on me, ok? I just appreciate the poetry of it. You must read it imagining Antonio's Spanish accent.

Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many theengs (things). Theees (this) was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to leeve (live) the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought and have not thought...all we ought to have said and have not said...all we ought to have done and have not done...I pray thee, God, for forgiveness.

You can view the scene on YouTube here.

Sometimes we converse in movie-speak around our house and that first line comes in handy when faced with a task we'd rather not do: "I have squandered my days with plans of many things; but theees was not among them..."

Seriously, though - that's a thought provoking prayer, isn't it? Maybe we shouldn't wait until faced with an epic battle before reviewing our lives and asking forgiveness.

No comments: