Friday, July 12, 2013

"Where Bloggers Create" Blog Party!

Welcome to Mystical Gypsy! What fun to participate in the blog party. I've been so inspired by pictures from other artsy bloggers and want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your world with me.

Please click here to go to Karen Valentine's blog for the complete list of party-goers! (scroll down & the list is alphabetized on the right-side column)

I'm going to be transparent & let you see the before picture of my sewing/craft room, my "studio" if you will. I don't know how it happens, but this room ever so subtly goes from organized & tidy to tornado after-effects décor in such a short amount of time.

One day, I decided to pile everything in the middle of the room and re-organize.


This was after I began to empty out the closet where I had been carelessly stashing things. You know - open the door, toss in & slam shut before anything could escape. The picture quality is pretty bad because I was rather uncomfortable documenting this disarray for anyone to see.

But enough of that...on with the show!


This is a re-purposed metal bakers rack. I painted it white & washed it with tinges of pink. Cute containers hold a variety of tools, brads, punches & doo-dads. The wood bucket was on clearance in the garden section at the hobby store. I painted it & added the polka dot ribbon for trim.

As you can see, I like polka dots. I made the skirt to go around my L-shaped work table. I'm so thankful for my hubby who gladly made the table for me, set up my computer & keeps it in good working order.


The skirt hides the computer, wastebasket, and the sewing machine tote. There are shelves which hold white baskets of patterns, embroidery hoops, etc.


The bakers rack holds all my scrapbook supplies. Next to it is a plastic shelving container with wide drawers for holding paper. I have two 4' folding tables, convenient to move around as needed.

I have tons of scrapbooking supplies. I don't scrapbook - but I do like to make cards. There used to be a scrapbook store in town that had a quarterly garage sale where my friends & I would pick up all kinds of loot for next to nothing. I think we enjoyed the pillaging more than the actual crafting. However, when the card making inspiration hits me, I've got all I need right at my fingertips!

For example - all my glitters & embossing powders are stored in this former-spicerack, painted white to match the bakers rack. Notice the crown? It's a large jewelry pendant, on sale at MFCS* (my favorite craft store). I love crowns!


At another junk store, I recently got one of those old boxes that used to hold print blocks. I've always thought they were so neat with all their little cubbies. It's holding about 1/8 of my stamps.
 
The closet is outfitted with wire racks and this is where you'll find the Mother Lode. The Fabric Stash. Oh my goodness, you wouldn't believe the visions & dreams just waiting to be realized behind those bi-fold doors!! Clothes, banners, embroidery projects, art dolls, curtains, table runners, pillows.... You see, I used to work at a fabric store. Who can resist using their employee 20% discount, especially on things that are already on sale?! Should some dreary global catastrophe happen, I will at least have fabric to make throw pillows and dolls!!!


Clean & organized! (I wonder how long this will last!?)  I found these aluminum cups at a wonderful junk shop. Memories from childhood. I always liked the pastel shininess of them.


The dresser was my son's when he was growing up. I painted it some fun colors & put colorful knobs on it. It's a sentimental piece that I can also use to store ... more stuff! The top drawer stores stabelizers and thread cones for the serger. The middle drawer holds silk painting supplies (yes, another hobby whim). The bottom is hiding a bunch of mementos and little knick-knacks that will probably be seeing a garage sale this fall.
A little wicker corner piece to display dolls, stuffed bears from hubby's Valentine's Day presents, silk scarves, mementos.

And finally, a shabby-chic chair for Blu2 to curl up in and keep me company.


I hope you enjoyed your visit to my hideout!

13 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by and your kind comment.
Well, you did what we all do at times but afraid to photo. I have also piled everything in the middle and reorganized. What a wonderful creative space you have designed and I love the old printers box for your stamps. I must remember this for mine.
Love the skirt too.
Blu2 is a darling and looks like he is very comfy in your space keeping you company.

Thank you for sharing. Have a nice weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

"Create Beauty" said...

Well you know my favorite photo : )

Your sweet Afghan is adorable!!!!

A treat to visit you,
~ Violet

Unknown said...

love the colours and re-organisation.. and Blu2 is gorgeous.. we had two afghans many years ago...Brandy a golden colour.. and Sheba a black ... they are gorgeous animals

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Hello Blu2...Are you in there lol! yes, a fellow lover of polka dots! Your room looks perfect! What a great redo! When I redid my room I had stuff everywhere even the guest room tub LOL! I thought Oh no, what have I gotten myself into! In the end, it worked out! thank you for sharing!

Carol

boulderdamcottage said...

oh hi! love your little furr ball! wow so cute! bet a great helper! i think we are sisters! lol i have the same aluminum cups, i grew up with those too! loving the patina of the colours and your pictures, very honest, mine were too, SCARY to post my mess but i did it anyway, i hate this sentence "it is what it is" but if you say it with a smile then its not so bad! lol anyway loving your place have a wonderful Sunday! my eyes are blurred looking at all the lovely bloggers that joined in, so many ideas, so little time!!!!! hugs kat =^.^=

StasaLynn said...

Great space! Love your fabric stash..... I am a bit of a fabric stasher myself. Your polka-dotted skirts are awesome and I love love love your tin cups! Take care!

Something Special said...

Oh I love the color that you have in there. I like your honesty to. very nice spot you have there!

Rita Barakat said...

Yay for polka dots! Love those fabrics- your room is spilling over with creativity!

bobbie said...

Pretty room ~ very inspiring! And Blu2 is just gorgeous!!

cathy @ ma vie trouvee said...

Thank you for showing the messy version.....a lovely space when cleaned : ) now I know I am not alone. and boy is blue2 a beauty! cheers form singapore.

Donna said...

I love your idea of using the vintage printer tray to hold your rubber stamps! And the vintage aluminum cups are a fun touch, too! I remember that we had some of those when I was little! Your furry companion looks like he's right at home in your space:)

Karen Valentine said...

Thank you so much for the tour!! I am laughing because I too, am amazed at how quickly I can go to neat and tidy to total chaos!!!
xo,
Karen

Maureen said...

What a pretty space you've created for yourself! I love all the colours and how organized it all is! I adore those old tin cups; they are quite the collectible now!

And Blu2? Too cute! ;)