Monday, July 29, 2013

Angels & Steampunks

What have I been working on lately? Quite an assortment of projects. I always have multiple folders open. Some photography jaunts, helping a friend with an art-journal, and dolls, of course!
 
My sister asked me long ago to make an angel for her. She has been so very patient. I'm happy to say, we're about half-way there! Here's a preview of the work in progress.
 

And remember waaaay back in 2011 when I took a workshop with the Dolling Dames where Barbara Schoenoff taught us her "Anneal" pattern? You know, the beautiful Steampunk Siren?


Well, my "siren" came out with feet that looked like they belonged to the Wicked Witch of the West. Poor Anneal has been shoeless since then as I got distracted by other projects and forgot about her poor tootsies. Actually, I just didn't know what to do with them. The pattern boots were kinda tricky & I didn't really care for them. I had even found a broken pair of Christmas ornament boots on clearance, but put them aside til I figured out how to repurpose them into something fashionable.


Finally,  unable to bear looking at that poor doll's sock-covered boats any longer, I got out the broken ornament boots and just started doing something. First I painted them black. While the boots were drying, I did an amputation on the boats & got the much tinier feet stuffed into the boots.


I covered the broken tops with a bit of zipper and pieces of an old leather glove that had also been used to make gloves for Anneal and other dolls. A pair of gloves goes a long way!

I added some Steampunk-style accessories and our girl is now standing proud!
 


Yeah, baby, these boots were made for walkin'.....! And you know how the rest of that song goes!

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

Your Dolls have such Personality! Your Creativity is Inspiring, Thank You for Sharing what is in Process of coming to Life in your Studio!

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian