Monday, August 4, 2014

Mint Tin Treasure


One of my art-doll club members brought the cutest little item to show us last month. It was a moss-covered Altoid tin with a tiny metal gate. It looked very fairy-tale-ish. The inside was collaged with pretty paper and an inspirational quote. And a sweet surprise - a tiny clay fairy she had made. Well, I just had to make some! I've been collecting items for the outside and quotes for inside. Today I made the first one.



I spray painted the outside of the tin. I lined the inside with paper printed with hot air balloons. It's actually paper from a wallpaper sample book. I had forgotten there were hot air balloon prints - how timely for using for the current Steampunk craze! Now I have some other projects in mind to use that paper. But first, back to the tins...


The quote says: "I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it." (Rosalia de Castro). Using Photoshop, I laid it out on a picture I took of the stone path at Rock City Gardens in Chattanooga, TN.

Since I'm giving this as a door prize for doll club this month, I filled it with little treasures the winner can use on a doll or other mixed media project - old laces, ephemera, buttons, and behind that is a tiny glass bottle of beads, a tiny metal whistle and a vintage sequined applique.

That was fun! I have plans to make several more of these!

No comments: