Sunday, September 23, 2007

Remembering Gramps

I mentioned last post that Ohio has interesting bridges. The one pictured here has particular significance. My Gramps helped to build it! I remember him saying he was paid $12 a week & he was so excited on payday that he would run all the way home. He was rather given to embellishment but he did tell great stories. He was in the Calvary in 1917 and he loved to tell of his days at Ft. Sam Houston in Texas. Gramps had a pair of crossed sabres tattooed on his forearm. I always thought they were so cool looking. A couple years ago we were visiting San Antonio. Ft. Sam Houston was nearby and I insisted that we stop there. It was right after 9/11 so security was tight and we didn't get to see much. But just being at the Legendary FT SAM HOUSTON, where my grandfather had served was enough.

Another note about this bridge - it s only about a mile away from where my husband grew up.

And it doesn't cross a river at all! It actually takes you from the valley to the hilltop. The architecture of this bridge is gorgeous. There are so many potentially great shots but it was getting dark when we were here. I plan to make a special photo-trip here next time I visit the fam.


I don't remember where Gramps was working at the time, but he would get a ride to this spot where my mom would pick him up. The image of him sitting on these steps has never left me. I wanted to stop and take this picture so I would always have this memory.

All the grandkids loved Gramps. Thinking about him from an adult perspective, though, I have a feeling he was a real pistol. I bet a personality test would prove him to be a sanguine. He liked to have a good time, saw humor in everything, and delighted in irritating my grandma until she would just BLOW up at him in a way that only an Irish red-head can. But he was a good grandpa.

We climb many hills, cross many bridges and take many steps in life, but God is with us every step of the way. Jesus promised never to leave us nor forsake us. Does He not see my ways and count my every step? Job 31:4

No comments: