Sunday, June 8, 2008

Long Roads, Dry Spells, and Divine Love

Have you ever gone through a spiritual dry-spell? Those times where it seems God is far off; you can't get interested in the Word, and your prayer life is just ...blah.


I've been through more than one of those. Tonight as I was preparing for staff devotions, I remembered one in particular. At the time, I was very much into making banners, pageantry, and teaching about using visual arts in praise & worship. I loved studying about the royal, kingly aspects of Jesus. But during this dry spell, even those things could not shake the spiritual melancholy that seemed to have settled on me like a coating of Panhandle dust. One morning I prayed, "Oh Lord, if I could just have a glimpse of Your majesty, I know it would get me back on track."

The silence was deafening. So I dragged myself off to work.

On my desk was a pretty gift bag all fluffed with tissue from my 'secret pal'. Inside was a book by Max Lucado. I devoured all his books back then, so I looked forward to reading it that night. About mid-morning, flowers from my husband were delivered. No reason. People were extra kind and I received several compliments on different things. It was just a really nice day.

After dinner was cleaned up, homework checked, and son tucked in bed, I settled down with a cup of tea and opened my book. Now, I never just open up to page 1. First, I read the book jacket; I skip to the last page; I flip through the chapters; I read the table of contents. I saaavor the beginning of a good read. But this time, I first opened up in the middle and I swear to you, my eyes fell straight to this sentence:

Did you see Him? Did you get a glimpse of His majesty?

Grand Lake, CO
Wow. Selah Moment.

People, the High and Lofty One Who Inhabits Eternity has chosen to dwell in us. And He cares for the smallest thing that concerns us. His majesty is expressed in His love. Even in something as simple as a kind word from a coworker. That's why He left us this one commandment: Love one another as I have loved you. LOVE is the Majesty of Jesus. So should it also be our royal mantle.
Love one another
as I have loved you.

No comments: