Saturday, September 13, 2008

Book Reviews


I might list books I'm reading, but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them. "A New Earth" is one such book. It was a hot topic this year because of Oprah. People were sending hysterical emails that she was pushing a new religion. I want to know what people are interested in, stay current, & think for myself. So I read the book. Have to admit, I almost felt like I should put it in a brown paper bag as I left the library in case anyone from church saw me. Sheesh.

So, about the book: my first thought was, this guy has watched The Matrix Trilogy way too many times. Like The Matrix, "A New Earth" is a mish-mash of eastern religion & philosophy. Nothing for anyone grounded in the Word to fear. But we need to know what people are thinking & talking about in our society. Then, instead of freaking out and slapping them with the Bible, be able to carry on an intelligent dialogue.


"What Happened" by Scott McClellan, is another book that rocked a few boats this past spring. It was a big deal because the Bush family values privacy to the point of fanatical secrecy & ol' Scotty here disobeyed the code. He is a former Bush staffer who became press secretary just as the hoopla over the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame started heating up. He supported going into Iraq, but it gradually dawned on him that maybe things weren't so kosher re: those pesky WMDs. He's a rather disillusioned guy now who probably feels better after his print confession (& the accompanying check). Although it gives a tiny bit of insight into the President's thinking re: Iraq, it's not enough to spend time reading the book.

There's my 2 cents worth.

No comments: