Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pixelations

New header is up! Just couldn't let go of "Mystical Gypsy" but I think it works well with the byline. I really tried to think about why I have this blog, what my real purpose here is, when trying to come up with a new name. I guess it should have been obvious (photography) but I tend to over-think things. And so, may I present: "Mystical Gypsy: Life in Pixels"

I love, love, love digital photography. I've considered taking classes but there's something different about this particular hobby. I like being alone with it; working it out on my own. This is really quite unusual - normally I like to learn a new skill from someone already good at it. But this is different. Can't explain; maybe I don't want to "learn the fun out of it."

Going out with the camera is a total de-stresser. Peering thru the lens causes me to hyper-focus and the world goes away. All I can see is what's in the viewfinder. All I can think about is how it looks, interesting angles and compositions. It's like becoming one with the camera. (Star Trek fans, remember this line? "Spock, be one with the horse!" "I'm trying, Captain!")
And when I'm finished, it's off to the computer where I can get lost again manipulating the photos in any number of ways. Or not! Once in a while there's a shot that's so perfect as is. What a joy! Experimenting/learning digital editing has helped me learn to make decisions a little faster (over-thinker, remember?) I know when the picture is right. I've learned to trust my instincts more which has spilled over to other areas of life.

And that, my friends, is why I enjoy Life in Pixels!

No comments: