Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Raven

Just enjoyed a 2-day workshop with doll artist, Cindy Moyer. She taught her design, "The Raven." Cindy's dolls have a signature look, especially in the face and the shape of the head. A little meloncholy, a little zen; maybe thoughtful or perhaps, just at peace. The details are appealing - she's wearing a raven necklace and holding the book, which we also made. She also has a mask which she can either hold or wear. It looks really cool on her face & I originally planned to do that because I was sure I wouldn't get the eyes right. But I was having a good "face" day and was so pleased with how the eyes turned out I didn't want to cover them.I just love how feathers are used on this doll. And the "hackle plate" (yeah, I didn't know what it was either.) It's like a feather crown. What's not to love about that!? My daughter-in-law thinks she looks like Cher.She sits on a feathered nest made of a straw wreath painted black & covered with a black feather boa. The tulle (or net) skirt fans out over the nest. I chose a crepe back satin in midnight blue for the outfit, with a mix of blue & black netting for the skirt.A few angelina fibers at the crown of the head for accent and a touch of dazzle.
It's always fun to see so many different interpretations of the same pattern. Check the TDD blog in a few days to see more pictures from the workshop.

No comments: