Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Valley of Fire, NV

One of the places outside of Las Vegas that I wanted to see was Valley of Fire. It was a short drive and sounded intriguing.


I did not expect it to be so big and beautiful!


This was the location for some of the Mars shots in the movie, Total Recall, and also Capt. Kirk's death scene in Star Trek Generations.


It's 42,000 acres of color, desert, neat rock formations, hiking and about 17 miles worth of driving trails.


It's so hard to select pictures that will do it justice and not bore you with "another rock photo."


But darn, it was one of my favorite places to see!


I thought we'd just drive out there, have a look around, grab some lunch on the way back -- all in the space of about 3 hours.


So if you ever go, allow yourself an entire day to really soak in the beauty. I would love to see this at sunset.

Chemtrails, if you believe in that sort of thing, between two rock formations.





My husband climbed halfway up this one below. He said there was absolute silence. He just sat there for the longest time enjoying it.

 



Right there in the center - my footprints among dozens of others who visited that day.



We saw pictures of this Arch Rock in various publications, postcards, etc. I was expecting something humongous! Just a little disappointed.






If you ever visit Nevada, you've got to make a day trip of VoF!

No comments: