Monday, August 22, 2011

A Sweet Summer Evening

Every year, my church ends the summer with an Ice Cream Social. It's a chance for everyone to get together over some ice cream before the busy fall activities, school, sports, etc. A couple years ago, my husband & his assistant came up with the idea to add a Talent Show to the mix. It was a hit! Then I suggested adding an art exhibit where our church family could show off their creativity. Score another hit. This year, we brought back something that was done many years ago - a baking contest! Oh my - get a napkin because you are going to drool...

My good friend entered this beautimous confection. Oh Sweet Mercy, this was some kind of chocolate magic. I don't remember what all was in it, but it went beyond a mere German Chocolate cake.Not that I got to taste anything (that darn diet again). My husband & other staff members were the judges.These cupcakes have a lemon or raspberry filling. I've had John's lemon filled cupcakes before and they are deee-vine. (They won 2nd place in the adult division).How I survived this night without falling off the vegetable wagon was only by the grace of God!
There was a category for teens and one for children. You would be amazed at what those young bakers can do.Kids & adults both were excitedly and anxiously hovering around the tables watching the judges' expressions for a clue as to what they thought. So much pressure! I think - not sure - but I think these are shortbread bars & won 1st place in the teen division.This little baker told us she worked all week experimenting with her fondant recipe to make it taste wonderful as well as look pretty. She pulled it off - it won 1st in the children's division.Not sure what these are but they were so pretty. They look like little snowballs with pink sparkles on top.
Aren't these cookies cute? The presentation looked like a miniature picnic.Another pretty presentation - cupcakes in individual boxes. Presentation is important! As you will see in the last photo....This probably tasted wonderful ......if you could get past the presentation. Only a kid could love this!

No comments: