Monday, June 11, 2012

Port Pix

I had such a great time on my early morning photo excursion last Thursday, that I went again Friday. I drove to a small town north of here with some "junk" shops I wanted to browse, thinking there might also be something "small-town-charming" to photograph, too. Um, no. Not in that one, anyway. So on the way back, I saw the exit for this....


...and said, "hey - that might be interesting!" In all my years here, I've never seen it. I don't know what I expected. Maybe a river full of barges? Well, I drove in and headed toward the water but it is most definately a busy, industrial area, bustling with a lot of heavy equipment. I got a little spooked, turned around and went back to the visitor center. The nice, but very bored, man there told me where I could go to take some pix as long as I stayed in the car.

Having limited access made it a little less interesting to photograph, but that's ok. I snapped a few and scooted out of there, dodging the racing semi's going both directions. However, the port really is a big deal and if you'd like to know more, click here.

Back to the visitor center where I breathed a sigh of relief. There's a small museum with pictures and articles telling the history of the port; a pretty gazebo, stone waterfall & flower beds. And a retired tugboat!


They must let children's groups go thru the boat, but on this day the upper deck was roped off.


And that's about it for the port. But with a little imagination, you can find something artsy or interesting to shoot just about anywhere.





End of mini-adventure. Back to the office tomorrow!

2 comments:

HighDLife said...

OK, I love the rope and stairs picture, the gate one. These have very cool views. Being and Alien helps, doesn't it.

Lisa said...

Those are really good pictures Connie! I didn't know there was a visitor center out there - that is good to know when I have family in town.